Do you check your phone as soon as you wake up? Glued to your iPad during your commute? Hunched over your laptop after work? If you’re answer to all of this is yes, then you’re a perfect candidate for some digital detox. Give your eyes and neck their much needed break by following these five simple rules to achieve a digital Zen state anytime and anywhere you want.
- Practise the 20-20-20 Rule. One good way to reduce your computer eye strain is by doing the 20-20-20 rule. Look away from your computer screen every 20 minutes, and then stare at objects that are 20 feet away from you for about 20 seconds. Easy right? But if you’re too busy to remember this rule, try creating a 20-minute playlist and look away every time the music stops.
- Try iOS 8’s ‘Do Not Disturb’ Setting. Couldn’t resist using your phone every night after work? Then help yourself by activating the ‘Do Not Disturb’ setting of your iOS 8. With this setting activated, all your texts, calls and notifications will be silenced and your screen won’t turn on even when an alert is received. Also, try scheduling the activation of this setting every night to keep you from spending hours on your phone before you sleep.
- Go on a Digital Diet. Another good way to break away from your devices is through your friends. You can throw an analogue party where your guests will be required to surrender their devices at the door, or you can also go on a tech-free retreat by staying at a gadget-free hotel.
- Avoid Using Phone Before Snoozing Off. The light from our phone messes up our sleep cycles, so avoid looking at any of your devices before you hit the sack. In fact, experts suggest keeping bedrooms as dark as possible to help you sleep better.
- Use an E-Ink Device Instead. Are you an avid reader who enjoys the flexibility offered by e-books? Then we suggest that you invest in a good e-ink device. Compared with your regular iPad, e-ink devices are a lot better for pre-bedtime reads since its screen isn’t backlit. Kindle Paperwhite is one of the best choices since it gives the readers access to the Amazon library, and has an option to turn the backlighting on in dark rooms.
Going through a gadget detox every once in a while is actually good. Not only will your eyes and neck get the rest they need, it will also allow you to appreciate various other things around you. So ensure that you perform a digital detox every now and then by doing any of the aforementioned tricks.