Not all Singaporeans see it but there is definitely a shift in the world of work. We have arrived in an era where work is no longer a place. Work refers to flexibility, control, career growth and easy access all at the same time. Some Singaporeans are transgressing from the traditional office set-up to internet freelancing. We call this online work.
In an online work, we are not bounded by space or time. There are about two million job postings on freelancing sites and it is growing by the minute. If we consider online work, we have to take the plunge right away before it is too late. So, here are some tips on starting internet freelancing career:
- Create your profile: We have to create our profile and make it remarkable because clients will check it first. We have to put our significant experiences so that clients can decide whether we are fit for the job or not. From our profile picture to our overview, our profile should be carefully thought. We have to watch out for the poor grammar and misspellings because it can be a red flag.
- Write polished cover letter: Cover letter will supplement a good resume. We have to make our cover letter better than anyone else. We have to make sure that when clients read it, they will be curious not regurgitated. When writing cover letter or even resume, we have to remember KISS – Keep it Short and Simple.
- Start small: Getting our first project is not easy especially with the competition but when we are blessed with one, we have to make it work even if the rate is low. We should not expect bigger rates if it is our first time. Our projects should be successful so our track record will earn positive feedbacks.
- Set realistic goals: Successful people will tell us that we have to begin with the end in mind. When we identified our goals, we have to make it happen. If we want to make it happen, we need to make sure that our goals are measurable and attainable.
- Marketing yourself: When looking for a job, we should see ourselves like a business. Somehow we need to market ourselves so that clients will consider it. We need to allocate our time in building our brand and the series of projects that we took will say it all. We need to refresh our skills every now and then. We can even consider online courses to entice more clients to consider us.
Once we consider the things mentioned above, this will work.